Client: The Alumni Factor, a new college ranking platform launched in September 2012
- Create brand awareness (through traditional and social media) of The Alumni Factor’s new college rankings platform and its value in helping students select a college.
- Launch The Alumni Factor as a major player in the college selection space by positioning the company as a go-to source for data and insights into college and university performance.
- Generate national media coverage about The Alumni Factor.
- Support The Alumni Factor’s business goals by driving website traffic.
- Distinguish The Alumni Factor among the already highly saturated college ranking marketplace, which includes established and aggressive players U.S. News & World Report and Princeton Review.
- Build credibility for The Alumni Factor which was a startup and compiled its data anonymously.
- Prepare for the potential refutation of The Alumni Factor’s surprising rankings by colleges and universities that placed uncharacteristically high or low.
- Social Media: To drive traffic directly to The Alumni Factor’s website and introduce the college rankings system, SA created and implemented an aggressive publishing calendar, fueled engagement and empowered early “endorsers” via a Facebook page and Twitter handle, initiated by SA.
- To increase interest, SA put a unique spin on college football games and the 2012 election races.
- Content on the social media platforms included “Football Face-off,” which compared game day results to The Alumni Factor’s rankings to see if the score would be different if based on alumni feedback.
- Leading up to the 2012 election, SA also shared predictions of the race winners based on a candidate’s alma ranking on The Alumni Factor.
- SA’s main strategy was to engage early on a select number of prominent higher education reporters/editors and offer a “semi-exclusive” opportunity to cover The Alumni Factor prior to its launch.
- By convincing an influential and respected media representative giving The Alumni Factor consideration, the college ranking system gained credibility.
- SA was proactive and preempted the release of other rankings by launching The Alumni Factor weeks before competitors published their annual lists.
- By doing so, The Alumni Factor received standalone attention instead of sole coverage in college ranking round-up stories.
- The campaign drove 92 percent of traffic to The Alumni Factor website.
Learn more about our launch services here.