Client: Sarah McGinty, Ph.D., Author and President of McGinty Consulting Group
Project: Book Launch of “The College Application Essay,” Fifth Edition
- Position Dr. McGinty, a Boston-based college admissions expert and former member of the writing faculty at Harvard University, as a thought leader in the college application space.
- Drive awareness of the launch of Fifth Edition of The College Application Essay in McGinty’s, especially in the Boston market, where Dr. McGinty owns a consulting firm.
Strategies and Tactics:
- Conducted aggressive media outreach to Boston-based print, online, and broadcast media, securing opportunities for Dr. McGinty to discuss the college application season and share tips with local students, teachers and parents.
- Secured two book events in the Boston area for Dr. McGinty to discuss the college application essay process and drive continued sales of the fifth edition.
- Scheduled, planned and executed a webchat with the Brookline Patch prior to an event with Brookline Booksmith, which further positioned Dr. McGinty as an accessible, local expert and created content to share via social media sites.
- Developed an op-ed strategy for Dr. McGinty and secured placement with local online and print news outlets.
- Launched and managed a Twitter and Facebook page on behalf of The College Application Essay to serve as a resource for students and teachers and position Dr. McGinty as a leader in the college application process.
During the course of two months, Schneider Associates:
- Positioned Dr. McGinty as an accessible, Boston-based source for the college application essay, as well as for financial aid, planning and all other aspects of the application process.
- Significantly increased traffic to McGinty Consulting’s website, and drove students and parents to the book’s Amazon.com site to purchase the fifth edition.
- Welcomed and engaged more than 130 followers on the Twitter page and gained nearly 100 targeted fans (students and parents) on the Facebook page.
SA’s media strategy of sourcing Dr. McGinty as an expert for college application stories and securing op-eds proved to be very successful. Media placements included:
- Campus Explorer, “What are Safety and Reach Schools?” October 22, 2012
- Mom.me, “Navigating the College Application Process,” October 19, 2012
- Fox 25 News, “Author Offers Tips on College Applications,” October 15, 2012
- BostInno.com, “The College Application Essay: 5 Ways to Make the Process Easier,” October 7, 2012
- New Bedford Standard-Times, “The College Application Process: Five Ways to Make the Process Easier,” October 5, 2012
- Brookline Patch ”Live Chat: The College Application Essay,” September 20, 2012 (also appeared on eight other community Patch websites)
- New England Cable News, “Writing the College Application Essay,” September 18, 2012
- U.S. News & World Report, “How to Apply to College for Free,” September 13, 2012
- Banker & Tradesman, “In Person,” September 3, 2012
In total, SA’s highly successful media efforts resulted in more than 7.5 million impressions in just two short months, increasing awareness of the new edition of The College Application Essay, but, more importantly, positioned Dr. Sarah McGinty as the local authority on college admissions.
Learn more about our corporate services here.