Client: MIT Sloan School of Management
Challenge: Establish MIT Sloan Experts Blog and Professors as Hub for Thought Leadership
- Establish the MIT Sloan Experts blog as a hub for national media seeking expert sources
- Establish MIT Sloan professors as thought-leaders in their respective fields
- Source MIT Sloan professors as thought-leaders for top-tier national news outlets.
Our Approach: Generate and Maintain Multiple Weekly Blog Posts Written by MIT Sloan Professors and Promote Blogs on MIT Sloan Social Media Channels
- Conduct weekly news scans to identify topics related to the school and faculty expertise: accounting, climate change, corporate strategy, economics, energy, entrepreneurship, finance, healthcare, human resources, information technology, international management, labor, law, leadership, marketing, operations management and statistics
- Generate five (5) weekly blog post ideas and work with the MIT Sloan media relations team to review and identify professors willing to write blog posts on these topics
- Support the MIT Sloan media relations team with targeted social media engagement to encourage national coverage of faculty blog posts
- Published the blog posts on MIT Sloan Experts blog once they run in national news outlets
- Promote blog posts on Twitter and LinkedIn to drive traffic to the blog.
- Use Twitter to reach national media, encouraging them to follow the blog and use MIT Sloan professors as expert sources
- Optimize posts for search and manage all back-end functionality of the blog to ensure continued content optimization
Results: 76% Increase in Media Placement of MIT Sloan Faculty Blog Posts in Multiple National Media Outlets. The Blog has Become 2nd Largest Driver of Traffic to MIT Sloan Website.
The MIT Sloan Experts blog is the second largest driver of referral traffic to the entire MIT Sloan website. The volume of media coverage generated by the Experts blog outpaces that of Sloan’s Ivy League counterparts. Since its inception, media placements featuring MIT Sloan faculty increased by 76 percent from 204 to 361 over the span of one year. Additionally, 71 of the 155 topics SA developed were placed in top-tier media outlets, with inbound media inquiries increasing by 40 percent.
SA’s promotion of blog topics resulted in national placements including The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg Businessweek, USA Today, The Huffington Post, Forbes, Fortune, TechCrunch, Yahoo! Tech, Wired, Fast Company, Financial Times, Xconomy, MarketWatch and Quartz.
Learn more about our education services here.