Project: Baskin-Robbins Wacky Summer Flavors Media Relations Campaign
- Secure national and regional broadcast, print and online coverage for Baskin-Robbins’ summer flavors.
- Drive consumers to make in-store purchases throughout the summer months.
- Researched Baskin-Robbins competition for similar bizarre flavors, including Buttered Popcorn from Maggie Moo’s and Strawberry Basil from Cold Stone Creamery.
- Explored the “wacky” trend for 2011 summer ice cream flavors and identifying several Baskin-Robbins flavors that fit the “wacky” qualifiers.
- Identified and developed interesting and captivating truths around each wacky flavor to increase media interest, for example: “French Toast began dazzling the taste buds of King Henry V in the 15th Century when bread that might have otherwise been thrown away was used to create a sweet treat for the King. Now at Baskin-Robbins you can enjoy the same great French Toast taste for dessert.”
- Leveraged existing relationships with reporters and producers to ensure Baskin-Robbins’ inclusion in wacky summer ice cream flavor stories.
- Pitched influential Reporter, Bruce Horovitz for a national, high profile, consumer news placement in USA Today.
- Developed several pitch angles for Bruce Horovitz including Baskin-Robbins’ flavorology and innovative leadership in all ice cream trends.
- Conducted extensive media relations to top-tier outlets to secure national placements.
- The campaign generated widespread national and regional media coverage.
- Between May and July, SA reached almost 68 million people with the wacky ice cream story, garnering more than 133 million impressions.
- SA secured Baskin-Robbins in a trend piece by Bruce Horovitz of USA Today.
- SA helped drive a significant jump in sales for Firehouse #31 and created such a demand for French Toast that when it hit shelves in September, many stores sold out in only a few weeks.
- Today Show: Weekend Edition (5,998,000 viewers) on June 11, 2011. Anchor Lester Holt and ice cream expert Katie Brown of the Katie.
- Brown Workshop tasted French Toast, Firehouse #31 and flavors from several other brands in Rockefeller Plaza. Baskin-Robbins was the first brand sampled and Lester Holt’s favorite.
- People Magazine (circulation: 3,450,000) in the August issue. Pitched and secured a new summer ice cream flavors article featuring September Flavor of the Month, French Toast, along with several unique flavors from other brands.
SA also brought the wacky summer flavors angle to the attention of major national publications and secured media coverage that included:
- Parade (circulation: 32,200,000) on July 17, 2011
- Newsweek (circulation: 1,500,000) on July 18, 2011
- MSN.com (11,431,285 readers) on July 29, 2011
Learn more about our launch services here.