Client: Riverdale Mills
- Use strategic media relations to increase awareness of the critical cod issue facing Massachusetts and how the future of local fishing villages, like New Bedford and Gloucester, are at stake.
- Position cod pots as a viable solution to the Commonwealth’s continued cod population problem.
- Build credibility for cod pots, a less traditional and virtually unknown method for catching cod.
- Establish Riverdale Mills as the leader in finding solutions for the overfishing problem, having invented the lobster pots and now cod pots, to help create a sustainable cod industry in Massachusetts.
- Educate key stakeholders about an alternative solution to cod fishing.
Strategies and Tactics:
- Developed a plan to pitch stories about the issue to newspapers in Massachusetts.
- Crafted media materials to highlight the viability of cod pots in Massachusetts and show Riverdale Mills’ fishing industry experience.
- Positioned cod pots as a solution to overfishing.
- Created a call to action.
- Developed a byline article that communicated a carefully crafted message about the dangers of cod overfishing with a call to action.
- Portrayed Jim Knott, inventor of cod pots, as a local authority on cod fishing.
- Secured byline, titled “Cod Fishery Needs New Line,” on Telegram.com and in the Telegram & Gazette print edition.
- Placed additional coverage of the byline in the Cape Cod Times, Gloucester Daily Times and New Bedford Standard-Times.
- Secured features in Commercial Fisheries News and the New Bedford Standard-Times.
- Reached 1.1 million impressions in a two month period.
Lear more about our non-profit services here.