Client: Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business at the University of Pittsburgh
Challenge: Increase Katz Business School Rankings through Raising Awareness of Programs and Positioning of Faculty as Thought Leaders
- Raise awareness of The Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business’ unique approach to experience-based learning through securing international and national business, industry-specific, U.S. regional and Pittsburgh media coverage
- Position the Dean and faculty as thought leaders in their respective areas of expertise through strategic media sourcing opportunities
- Establish Katz as a worthy source of news and information equivalent to sources from prestigious east and west coast business schools
- Use this campaign to increase Katz business school rankings
Our Approach: Conducted Media Tours of Faculty and Deans, Created Relationships between Katz Experts and Media Contacts, Secured and Developed Blogging and Editorial Opportunities.
- Conducted discovery sessions with the Dean, Associate Dean and the Katz faculty to identify story ideas and future trends
- Media trained faculty for high profile interviews
- Conducted Pittsburgh-area media tour to establish Katz faculty as the go-to source for local business stories
- Conducted media tours in New York City, Washington D.C. and London to introduce Katz to the national and international media who publish business school rankings
- Introduced Katz experts to SA’s international and national business, industry-specific, U.S. regional and Pittsburgh media contacts to position them as valuable sources for upcoming stories and future trends
- Secured monthly guest blogging opportunity for Dean John Delaney with the Huffington Post, a first for the business school
- Developed monthly editorial calendars featuring strong business trend pitch angles to leverage Katz programs and faculty as sources
Results: Secured Over 1 Billion Media Impressions in Multiple National and Local Media Outlets, Increased Ranking of University of Pittsburgh and Katz Graduate School of Business in Multiple Media Outlets
To date, SA has secured over one billion media impressions for the Katz School of Business. Coverage includes The Wall Street Journal, Fortune, Forbes and CNBC as well as stories in Katz’s local print and broadcast media, including the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pittsburgh Business Times, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, NPR Pittsburgh and KDKA-TV. Additionally, SA coordinated desk-side, in-person media briefings with business school ranking outlets including Bloomberg Businessweek, Financial Times, U.S. News and World Report and Poets & Quants.
The rankings for both the University of Pittsburgh and the Katz Graduate School of Business increased during SA’s engagement with the school. According to U.S. News & World Report in 2014, the University of Pittsburgh ranked as number 24 among U.S. public schools and number 39 overall, an increase from number 27 and number 47 respectively in the previous year. This increase is one of the biggest improvements of all the schools ranked by U.S. News & World Report. According to the Economist, the Katz MBA was first in the U.S. and fifth worldwide in return on investment with a 42 percent return after a year. The school also experienced an increase in rankings in the Financial Times.
Learn more about our education services here.