Client: National Public Gardens Day
National Public Gardens Day (NPGD) is an annual celebration of the country’s public gardens and outdoor spaces presented by the nonprofit American Public Gardens Association (APGA) and Rain Bird, the leading manufacturer and provider of irrigation products and services. The event, which takes place in May, showcases the leadership of both organizations in building awareness about the need for conservation and environmental education.
Schneider Associates (SA) partnered as the local Boston firm for the Pollack PR Marketing Group, who spearheads the national and local market NPGD campaign. SA in 2013 launched the new family activity area at the New England Wild Flower Society’s Garden in the Woods located in Framingham, Mass. The special event marked the fifth annual National Public Gardens Day, and marked the first time a Massachusetts garden had been selected as an official local NPGD partner.
Promote NPGD in the Metro Boston area through media relations and community relations, drive awareness for the celebration, communicate the importance of local gardens and environmental conservation, and encourage families to visit the new family activity area at Garden in the Woods on National Public Gardens Day, May 10.
- Leverage strategic media relations to secure a minimum of four media placements with regional outlets in central and eastern Massachusetts.
- Raise consumer and community awareness of this fun, family friendly, annual consumer event.
- Developed press materials, including pitches and press releases, and leveraged relationships with local and regional long-lead, short-lead print and online media, including consumer outlets and parenting media, to drive awareness of NPGD as a family and kid-friendly way to celebrate Mother’s Day, the unofficial start of summer.
- Secured Massachusetts State Senator Karen Spilka to speak at the ceremony.
- New England Wild Flower Society invited local mommies groups and homeschooled students to attend the grand opening and be among the first to experience the family activity area.
- Shared news about the Garden in the Woods celebration using local online calendar listings throughout Metro Boston and Metro West.
- Distributed press release over the wire to encourage wider awareness in the week preceding NPGD.
- SA attended the May 10 event and submitted photos of Senator Spilka and families enjoying the family activity area for inclusion in local papers for consideration.
SA secured six placements and 27 calendar listings, totaling 9,869,391 impressions for the NPGD and New England Wild Flower Society partnership and event. The one-time special event was a success, with over 40 visitors to the Garden in the Woods, including families, nature-lovers and mommies groups, in attendance.
Prominent placements include:
- Boston.com ParentBuzz Blog: 3,849,608 impressions
- Boston Globe West: 1,718,692 impressions
- Boston.com: 3,849,608 impressions
- Improper Bostonian: 223,208 impressions
- MetroWest Daily News: 48,010 impressions
- Worcester Telegram-Gazette: 180,265 impressions
Learn more about our launch services here.