Client: Upromise by Sallie Mae
- Position Upromise by Sallie Mae as the leading organization raising awareness of the importance of saving for college.
- Select and secure a celebrity spokesperson for the Upromise by Sallie Mae Pledge launch.
- Position Upromise representatives as experts and advocates for educating parents and children about how to save for college.
- Coordinate a media event to launch the sweepstakes
Secure national print and broadcast sweepstakes coverage through media relations.
- Ask consumers to make a pledge to save for college and upload a photo of their future graduate on Upromise.com or the Upromise Facebook page.
Strategies and Tactics:
- Developed a media plan which included an intimate media lunch in New York City hosted by “Make the Pledge, Keep the Pledge” spokesperson Mira Sorvino.
- Identified national print media targets and developed pitches to secure national broadcast segments featuring Mira Sorvino.
- Secured attendance of key national print publications and editors at the luncheon event including:
- Rachel Ensign, Wall Street Journal
- Laura Manske, Freelance – Redbook, InStyle, Family Life
- Beth Gladstone, Reuters
- Elaine Marotta, You & Your Family
- Celia Shatzman, Family Circle
- Maria Masters, Family Circle
- Bethany Kandal – Freelance, New York Times/Ladies Home Journal
- Julie Andrews, Freelance – iVillage, Cosmopolitan
- Highlights of the media relations campaign included broadcast segments with three national programs, one national print and online placement, one regional print and television placement; all resulting in more than 28 million impressions.
- CNN featured a live interview with Mira Sorvino in which she mentioned her affiliation with Upromise by Sallie Mae in conjunction with her advocacy work. The segment was also the lead video story on CNN.com
NBC 4 New York featured Mira Sorvino as she discussed her involvement with Upromise by Sallie Mae and the “Make the Pledge, Keep the Promise” campaign.
- FOX News Channel conducted a live interview with Mira Sorvino in which she discussed her partnership with Upromise by Sallie Mae
E! Entertainment News interviewed Mira Sorvino to discuss her involvement with Upromise by Sallie Mae and the importance of saving for college. The segment aired three times.
- Newsday, the local Long Island newspaper, featured an interview with Upromise by Sallie Mae senior vice president John Ward and Mira Sorvino in which they discussed the “Make the Pledge, Keep the Promise” Sweepstakes.
- An additional online feature is now on Newsday.com
Family Circle writer Maria Masters, who attended the event, featured Upromise by Sallie Mae in its March 2013 issue focused on ‘College Saving Secrets.’ The story was also featured on FamilyCircle.com.
- In its first year, the ‘Make the Pledge, Keep the Promise’ Sweepstakes received 300,000 entries and 70,998 individual pledges which far exceeded Upromise by Sallie Mae’s expectations for the first year’s campaign.
Learn more about our launch services here.