Challenges: Raise Visibility of Follett Brand as Top Educational Research Among Educators, Parents, Students, and the Media.
Follett – a leader in the educational resources industry selling college textbooks, K-12 learning materials and operating university bookstores – for the first time in its over 100 year history–decided to move from a business-to-business company to reaching consumers directly.
The main challenge was to raise visibility for the Follett brand among educators, parents, students and the media. Despite the fact that Follet operates bookstores and produces educational content, the bookstores were branded with the College’s name and the content featured the school’s name so while consumers were using Follet products and services every day, they were unaware that Follet was the company providing these services.
- Introduce Follett to consumers
- Establish Follett as a valuable educational resource for parents and students during Back to School season
- Position Follett spokespeople as thought leaders on topics of interest to parents and students via top-tier media placements
- Create dedicated #FallBacktoSchool microsite and populate it with original content
Our Approach: To increase Follett’s brand awareness, SA created and implemented an integrated marketing campaign featuring media relations, content creation, influencer campaigns, social media, programmatic advertising and the creation of a microsite to host paid, earned, shared and owned media.
- Media Relations:
- Successfully recruited influential spokeswoman Rosalind Wiseman (author of Queen Bees & Wannabes, later adapted into the movie Mean Girls) to speak about issues students and parents face
- Secured reactive and proactive print, radio, online and broadcast media placements for Follett by conducting media outreach
- Wrote and pitched contributed pieces and op-ed placements
- Conducted Omnibus Survey to identify how parents feel about technology vs teaching and various social issues in education, and pitched the findings to national, regional and local media
- Distributed and pitched four major press releases
- Social Media:
- Drove referral traffic to Follett’s Back to School microsite
- Increased community growth and engagement on social channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Scripted, staffed and implemented the successful #FallBacktoSchool Twitter party which reached more than 4 million users.
- Content Creation:
- Developed Back to School microsite as a content hub to provide value to consumers visiting Follett’s website with original blog posts
- Developed several infographics about Follett’s most sought-after products and other tips for college freshmen and their parents
- Created online quizzes called “Are You Smarter Than a Middle-Schooler” and “Are You Smarter Than a High Schooler”
- Wrote MAT columns regarding back to school tips for parents and ways parents can deal with newly empty nests
- Created and hosted a podcast series for Follett subject matter experts
Results: Schneider Associates Secured Multiple Top Tier Media Placements for Follett, Increased Social Media Engagement, Increased Reach for Follett Blog Posts through Successful Influencer Marketing, and Delivered 5k Users to Newly Created Microsite.
- Media Placements
- Secured top-tier media placements in USA Today, Bloomberg, Washington Post, and Education World
- Overall Social Media Reporting (August to October)
- 13,582 posts
- 1,667 users
- 4 million users reached
- 7 million impressions garnered
- 1,028 new followers on Twitter
- 1,983 new fans on Facebook
- 890 link clicks
- #FallBacktoSchool Twitter Party
- 11,951 posts
- 944 users
- 2 million users reached
- 15 million impressions garnered
- Influencer Campaign Blog Posts
- 416,375 total comments on the 47 posts
- 623 related Facebook posts from blogger content
- 1,613 Tweets related to blogger content
- 484 Pinterest posts related to blogger content
- 235 Google+ posts related to blogger content
- 7 million in potential reach
- Microsite Performance
- 6,355 sessions
- 5,177 users
- 8,475 page views
Learn more about our education services here.