The Challenge: Launch education travel brand EF Education First’s new headquarters building in Cambridge and help recruit employees.
EF Education First was about to begin construction of a massive new company headquarters in Cambridge. EF contracted SA to develop a campaign that would bring attention to EF Education First’s new headquarters building in Cambridge and help recruit employees. SA was additionally tasked with creating buzz and interaction amongst fans and potential employees during the 18-month building process.
Our Approach: A fully integrated experiential marketing and media relations campaign.
SA determined the best way to achieve the goals was to host a unique, groundbreaking event, infused with social media to help attract young professionals. An experiential marketing event such as this offers the perfect opportunity to engage the media and kick off community relations in EF’s new neighborhood to generate buzz and attention to EF Education First’s groundbreaking. SA coordinated nearly all aspects of event planning including booking the talent and all city food trucks to serve guests.
SA also coordinated the installation of a 60-foot-tall, hot pink sculpture on the development site to symbolize EF’s branding and mark the start of construction to create a visual attention to their new building.
Other tactics included
- A location check-in for “The Pink Thing at EF Education First” on various social media outlets to draw interest to the art installation on the building site and engage the community.
- Booking the groundbreaking band, Passion Pit, to play the groundbreaking event.
- Developing a speaking program for the event featuring appearances by or statements from EF CEO, Governor Deval Patrick, Cambridge Mayor Henrietta Davis and State Representative Tim Toomey.
- Production of a video featuring 52 VIPs congratulating EF, which attendees watched on Jumbotrons at the groundbreaking.
The Results: Successfully gained the attention of local media, online influencers and community members who engaged with the brand.
SA’s initiatives for EF Education First’s groundbreaking and new building secured coverage by various media outlets and local influencers, and successfully generated a swell of engagement in the local community.
Coverage highlights include:
- A Boston Globe business feature on the new EF Cambridge office building, which ran the day of the event.
- Photos of Governor Patrick and Passion Pit on the Rolling Stone website which reaches more than 1.2 million readers, as well as with Metro Boston, The Phoenix and The Boston Globe—all key targets for EF Education First’s innovative recruits.
- Broadcast coverage on New England Cable News, WBZ-TV, WBZ-AM and WRKO-AM throughout the day of the groundbreaking.
- Digital influencers, including Technorati, Universal Hub, and @BostonTweet.
- 4,621 engaged users on Twitter and Facebook and 819 unique stories with 1,362 viral shares on Facebook, in addition to more than 1,000 posts for #EFgroundbreaking on event day.